From Sofia: Rila Monastery Full-Day Tour3 Reviews
Stroll under the beautiful painted arcades and arches of Bulgaria's largest Eastern Orthodox monastery on Rila Mountain. The ancient religious center is home to a church and museum. This full-day tour to Rila Monastery also includes a 3-course lunch.
- Visit the Eastern Orthodox Rila church, then enter Rila Museum to explore its collection of artwork
- Gaze up at intricate decorative paintings while walking under the arches of Rila Monastery's exquisite open arcade
- Discover Hreliov's tower, built and fortified to protect Bulgaria's most important religious center in ancient times
- Ask your guide about Rila Monastery's Medieval legacy while enjoying a traditional 3-course Bulgarian lunch
- Enjoy a delicious traditional Bulgarian meal
DescriptionDiscover one of the most important historical monuments in Bulgaria: The Rila Monastery. The largest spiritual and cultural center in Bulgaria for hundreds of years, the Rila Monastery is located in the heart of the Rila Mountain, about 130 km (80 miles) south of Sofia. You'll be transported by car or air-conditioned minibus from your hotel in Sofia up to Rila Mountain, where your guide will take you on a tour of the captivating ancient Eastern Orthodox monastery. Named on the UNESCO World Heritage list, Rila Monastery offers insight into the Balkan's Medieval history. With its 1,200 scenes in numerous decorative paintings and figural images, the stunning open arcade is also an art gallery. Admire the exquisitely detailed artwork under the arches, and then visit beautiful church with colorful frescoes located at the center of the Monastery. Then enjoy a traditional 3-course Bulgarian lunch as well as a visit to Rila Museum.
IncludesTransport by car or air-conditioned minibus Guided tour Entrance fee to the Rila Museum 3-course lunch
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability