My Guide Website?
From Sofia: Rila Monastery and Boyana Church Day Trip518 Reviews
Discover 2 UNESCO World Heritage Listed religious sites on a day trip from Sofia. Choose to have a guided tour or explore the Rila Monastery on your own before admiring the frescoes of Boyana Church.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Bulgaria:If youʻre booking your trip to Bulgaria last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Take the chance to explore 2 UNESCO World Heritage sites
- Choose a guided tour of Rila monastery or discover it on your own
- Dive into the authentic countryside of Bulgaria on the way
- Gain a fascinating insight into the history of Eastern Orthordoxy in Bulgaria
- Admire beautiful examples of medieval frescoes in the church of Boyana
DescriptionExperience the religious history of Bulgaria on a day trip to the UNESCO World Heritage Listed Rila Monastery and Boyana Church from Sofia. Follow your guide around the monastery to learn about this epic site or choose to explore it on your own before viewing Boyana Church's ancient frescoes. Meet your friendly group for the day at the parking lot Behind Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, near cafe La Cathedrale. Settle down in your seat and set off out of the city as you drive along scenic roads with picturesque views of rural Bulgaria. Arrive at Rila Monastery, the largest Eastern Orthodox monastery in the country. If you've booked the tour, follow your guide around the historic site and learn about the main frescoes. If you're an explorer you can visit the museum, take photos, and check out the church at your own pace. Spend about 3-hours at the monastery where you will get the opportunity to take photos, check the shops, visit the museums, and have a lunch break in the nearby restaurant. Then start your journey back to Sofia with one more important stop along the way. Enter the medieval Boyana Church and stroll within the ancient walls, studying the artistic frescoes which make this place so special. Finish your journey at around 5:00 PM to 5:30 PM in the city center.
IncludesDay trip to Rila Monastery and Boyana Church English-speaking guide or driver, depending on the booked option Transportation with an air-conditioned vehicle Parking fees
- The inside visits within Boyana Church are limited to 10 minutes per group. The Boyana church is closed on the 1st of January, on the Sunday of the Orthodox Easter, on the 24th of December and the 25th of December ─ on such days the tour is done only to the Rila Monastery