From Sofia: Rila Monastery & Boyana Church Small Group Tour484 Reviews
See 2 of Bulgaria's UNESCO World Heritage Sites on an exciting minibus tour from Sofia. Go to Rila Monastery and get breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains. Then, see stunning frescoes from the Bulgarian National Revival at Boyana Church.
- Visit 2 of Bulgaria most famous UNESCO World Heritage Sites in a day
- Go to Rila Monastery in the Rila Mountains
- Marvel at the pre-Renaissance frescoes of Boyana Church
- Taste organic food in the nearby restaurants, such as mekitsi, yogurt or grilled trout
- Travel in comfort through the Bulgarian countryside
DescriptionDepart Sofia at 09:00 AM sharp, and relax on the 2-hour drive to the Rila Monastery in the Rila Mountains. Upon arrival, explore the largest and most important Orthodox cloister in Bulgaria. Admire the arcaded balconies, and discover unique frescoes by one of the most famous painters of the Bulgarian National Revival period. See gilded iconostasis and enjoy the fabulous mountain views. Hear the story of the monastery from your guide before enjoying some time to explore the monastic complex on your own. Learn more at the museum, or purchase souvenir icons and other items in the nearby shops. Take some time to refuel with lunch at one of the local restaurants, where you can purchase local specialties such as mekitsi (a traditional Bulgarian dish of kneaded dough made with yogurt that is deep fried). Depart at 01:30 PM and travel to Boyana Church in the suburbs of Sofia. See the historically significant frescoes of the Byzantine building, and hear how they started the fashion for illustrating biblical figures with emotions and placing them alongside the local aristocracy. With an estimated arrival time at the church of approximately 03:40 PM, enjoy about 30 minutes to explore. Leave at around 04:10 PM for the drive to Alexander Nevski Cathedral in Sofia city center by 04:30 PM to 05:00 PM.
IncludesTransportation by modern, comfortable air-conditioned vehicle English-speaking driver/guide Entrance fees to Rila Monastery Museum (€4 per person) and Boyana Church (€5 per person) Food, drinks and other personal expenses
- Please be aware that smoking in the vehicles is strictly forbidden • You can find mekitsi (sometimes called Bulgarian donuts) just outside the eastern gate, available to purchase at €0.25 each
- Please note, the tour will not visit Boyana Church on May 18, April 19, and December 24 or 25
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCHECK AVAILABILITY