My Guide Website?
Plovdiv, Bachkovo Monastery and the Red Wall Reserve
Take a walking day tour to Slivodolsko Padalo waterfall, one of the tallest in the Rhodope Mountains and sightseeing in Bachkovo Monastery and Plovdiv, one of the oldest cities in Europe.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Bulgaria:If youʻre booking your trip to Bulgaria last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- From Sofia: Plovdiv Full-Day Guided Tour
- From Obzor: Half-Day Black Sea Catamaran Cruise
- Belogradchik Rocks and Fortress from Sofia
- From Sofia: Kosovo and North Macedonia 2-Day Tour
- From Sofia: Day Trip to Belogradchik Rocks and Venetsa cave
- Go sightseeing in Plovdiv, the oldest still inhabited city in Europe
- See the Red Wall - UNESCO’s biosphere reserve, where over 600 vascular plant species have been found, including 21 endemic species for the Balkans
- Walk to Slivodosko Padalo waterfall (49 meters)
- Explore Bachkovo Monastery, founded in 1083
DescriptionExplore the largest biosphere reserve in the Rhodope Mountains – the Red Wall. This paradise for orchids was included in UNESCO’s Man and the Biosphere Program back in 1977, due to its rich biodiversity. The centuries-old beech tree forests of the Red Wall host more than 20 species of orchids including the unique “lady’s-slipper”, which can be seen only in this reserve. You'll hike to one of the tallest waterfalls of the Rhodope Mountains, Slivodolsko Padalo (49 meters) where you stop for a refreshing rest under the mist of the falling water before visiting Bachkovo, among the largest Eastern Orthodox monasteries in Europe. The tour ends with a sightseeing tour of Plovdiv, one of the oldest cities in Europe, ranked by Lonely Planet as one of the best cities to visit in 2015. Your guide will pick you up early in the morning from your hotel or address in Sofia or Plovdiv, and within a two-hour journey by private car or minivan you'll be at the starting point of the hike in the Rhodope Mountains. Walk by a picturesque trail upstream Slivov Dol river with its numerous cascades where many orchids can be spotted. Reach Slivodolsko Padalo waterfall (49 meters), among the tallest in the Rhodope Mountains. After a short break you'll walk back to the car, then be transferred to Bachkovo Monastery for a sightseeing tour and lunch. Later, the journey will continue with a short transfer and city tour of Plovdiv, one of the oldest cities in Europe. In the late afternoon you'll head towards Sofia, where your driver will drop you off at your hotel.
IncludesPick-up / drop-off from your hotel or address in Sofia or Plovdiv All transfers with private car or bus as per itinerary Licensed mountain guide member of UILMA Guidance in Bachkovo Monastery, Plovdiv and throughout the tour All local taxes
- Walking time: approx. 2 hours Total ascent / descent: approx. 180 meters Bus / car transfers duration: approx. 4 hours