My Guide Website?
From Sofia: Rila Monastery, Scenic Train Ride & Bansko Town2 Reviews
Explore the historic Rila Monastery at your own pace with a roundtrip transfer from Sofia. Take a scenic train ride through the Rhodope Mountains and stroll through the quaint Bansko Old Town.
- Be transported back in time as you ride the Old Narrow Gauge Train
- Enjoy mountain views as you travel through 3 mountains ranges
- Grasp the opportunity to taste traditional food in the Old Town of Bansko
- Explore the UNESCO listed Rila monastery, at your own speed, after the crowds
- Discover the rich history of Bulgarian lands
DescriptionIn the morning - meet your local English-speaking host at the centrally located meeting point. A 2-hour minibus transfer through the Bulgarian countryside takes you to the Rhodope mountains, where you climb aboard the narrow gauge train for a scenic ride through the mountains. Meet local Bulgarian people on the train and learn about the history of the area. Get off the train at Avramovo station for a short transfer to Bansko town at the footsteps of Pirin National Park. Your driver will drop you off at the convenient location, close to the Old Town. Explore at your own speed the ancient streets, visit the main church or take the opportunity to taste traditional local food at one of the traditional restaurants called mehana (lunch is optional and not included). In the afternoon, meet again your host and driver for a minibus transfer to the Rila National Park. You will arrive at the UNESCO listed Rila monastery after the crowds have gone, for a truly intimate experience. Explore on your own the ancient monastic complex. Later in the afternoon, get on the minibus for the final transfer back to Sofia city.
IncludesReturn transfers from Sofia city English-speaking host Trip notes Narrow gauge train tickets
- Please note the dress code for the Rila monastery: shirts must have sleevses and pants/skirts must cover knees. This tour will take place rain or shine: please dress up accordingly