My Guide Website?
From Sofia: Rila Monastery and Plovdiv Town Full-Day Trip277 Reviews
Explore the UNESCO-listed Rila Monastery and enjoy the Bulgarian cultural capital of Plovdiv on a self-guided day trip from Sofia with roundtrip transportation and a local host.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Bulgaria:If youʻre booking your trip to Bulgaria last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Bring the ancient spirit of the past to life at Plovdiv's architecture reserve
- Explore the historic and spiritual Rila Monastery on a trip from Sofia
- Walk the cobbled streets of Plovdiv Old to see its most important sights
- Explore the highlights at your own pace without being rushed in a group
- Travel in comfort with a reliable transfer service from Sofia city center
DescriptionExplore Bulgaria's most famous sites in 1 day from Sofia: the UNESCO Rila Monastery and the city of Plovdiv on a small group, self-guided trip. Walk the sites at your own comfortable pace without the need of following others. Get expert local advice from your friendly English-speaking host and benefit from reliable comfortable transfers. Depart from Sofia city center at 7:30 AM and travel by shuttle bus with a friendly English-speaking host. (For the period October to April, departure from Sofia is at 07:00 AM and the bus goes to first to Rila monastery and then to Plovdiv. Return to Sofia is around 20:00h). After your 2-hour transfer in an air-conditioned minibus, you will reach the city of Plovdiv and get more than 4 hours to explore Bulgaria's second largest city, famous for its Old Town, Roman remains and Kapana artistic district. Your driver will provide you with a free copy of a tourist city map and local tips. Meet your host again at 14:00h and ontinue with a 3.5-hour transfer (a short break half-way is included) through scenic mountain roads to the medieval Rila Monastery in the spectacular Rila Mountains. Once there, you have more than 1-hour to explore the monastic complex at your own pace - more than enough time to see all the major parts of the complex. The monastery was founded by the hermit monk Ivan Rilski in 927 AD. Marvel at the frescoes of the main church and visit the museum and medieval tower independently. Board the shuttle bus at 18:30h at the agreed meeting point and return to Sofia in the evening to be dropped off at the meeting point around 20:30 at knyaz Alexander I square in downtown Sofia.
IncludesRound-trip shared transfers from Sofia English-speaking host Transportation by air-conditioned minivan/minibus Map of Plovdiv Old Town Map of Rila Monastery Licensed driver
- All visitors are required to cover their knees and shoulders for the monastery visit This tour will take place rain or shine It is recommended to bring your own packed food The Rila Monastery Museum entry ticket is 8 BGN (optional)