My Guide Website?
From Bucharest: Discover Medieval Bulgaria—Private Day Trip1 Reviews
Discover the beauty of medieval Bulgaria on a guided tour from Bucharest. Visit Basarabov Monastery, Veliko Tarnovo, Tsaravets Fortress, and other areas while hearing about Bulgarian history.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Bulgaria:If youʻre booking your trip to Bulgaria last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- From Sofia: Kosovo and North Macedonia 2-Day Tour
- From Obzor: Half-Day Black Sea Catamaran Cruise
- Varna Gourmet Tour including Wine Tasting
- From Sofia: Belogradchik Rocks Full-Day Tour
- Bansko: Rare Bulgarian Pets Experience
- Experience a culture with different traditions
- Discover Arbanassi, well-preserved examples of Bulgarian Revival architecture
- Admire the beautiful Basarabov Monastery
- Visit the Tsaravets Fortress
- Take a break from the Romanian capital
DescriptionTravel to the foothills of the Balkan Mountains, visit Basarabov Monastery, the only monastery in Bulgaria carved in the rock, explore the medieval Veliko Tarnovo, visit the Tsaravets Fortress, a fortification from the Middle Ages, and then admire Arbanassi Village, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Begin your day trip by leaving Bucharest for Veliko Tarnovo, crossing the Danube River, which separates Romania from Bulgaria, and making your first stop at Basarabov Monastery, the only monastery in Bulgaria carved in the rock and inhabited since its establishment. Not far from Basarabov Monastery is the charming medieval city of Veliko Tarnovo, often referred to as the 'City of the Tsars'. You will walk on the cobbled streets in the historical quarter of Samovodskata Charshiya, and up on the hill, you will discover the fortress of Tsarevets, settled in the 4th century and surrounded by thick walls and the strongest Bulgarian fortification from the Middle Ages. Veliko Tarnovo was often compared to Rome or Constantinople in greatness. The village of Arbanassi, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, will be your final stop before returning to Bucharest. Arbanasi has experienced strong Greek cultural influence for centuries, with traditional houses that are large and heavily fortified and orthodox churches dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries with stone walls and thick gates. Walk through its quiet and picturesque streets and admire all of this.
IncludesEntrance Fees Hotel pick up and drop off Bottled water Guided Tour Live commentary on board Parking fees Road taxes Border taxes
- On this tour, we are leaving Romania and entering Bulgaria. Please ensure that your visa requirements are in order and that you carry your passport /ID ID card (for citizens of EU states).