My Guide Website?
Sofia: Communist Walking Tour360 Reviews
Find out what it was like on the eastern side of the Iron Curtain in Sofia by joining our Communist tour. Discover a 45-year-long period compressed into an informative 3-hour walk as you learn about the factors that led to communism and its aftermath.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Bulgaria:If youʻre booking your trip to Bulgaria last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- From Bucharest: Small Group Day Trip to Medieval Bulgaria
- Sofia: Museum of Socialist Art and Buzludzha Monument Tour
- From Sofia: Plovdiv Full-Day Guided Tour
- From Sofia: Rila Monastery and Boyana Church Day Trip
- Belogradchik: Hot-air Balloon Flight over Belogradchik Rocks
- See Sofia’s communist-era landmarks
- Learn about communist ideology and why it rose and fell in Bulgaria
- Step back in time as your guide recounts everyday life in the Cold War
DescriptionDiscover the main landmarks of communist history in the city of Sofia. Start your tour by passing by the former headquarters of the Bulgarian Communist Party. Continue on to see buildings such as the secret police investigation facility and the destroyed mausoleum. Head on towards the monument of the Soviet army and the National Palace of Culture. During the 3-hour-long walking tour, learn about the theory of communism and what Marxism-Leninism is. Find out about the history of communism in Bulgaria, the pros and cons of the period, and the relation between the communist government and religion, industry, economy, culture and everyday life of the people. End the tour with a fresh perspective on the city and a new insight into the country's communist past.
- This tour is not recommended for people with limited mobility
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult