My Guide Website?
From Sofia: Full-Day Tour to Plovdiv and Bachkovo Monastery30 Reviews
This full-day tour from Sofia takes you on a discovery of the city of Plovdiv and the spectacular Bachkovo Monastery. Enjoy a walk through time as you explore Roman ruins, a medieval monastery, gorgeous 19th century architecture, and a modern city center.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Bulgaria:If youʻre booking your trip to Bulgaria last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- From Bucharest: Small Group Day Trip to Medieval Bulgaria
- Sofia: Museum of Socialist Art and Buzludzha Monument Tour
- From Sofia: Plovdiv Full-Day Guided Tour
- From Sofia: Rila Monastery and Boyana Church Day Trip
- Belogradchik: Hot-air Balloon Flight over Belogradchik Rocks
- Visit Bachkovo Monastery founded in 1083 and see the original kitchen of the monastery used from the 14th century up to the 20th century
- Take a look at the city's oldest pharmacy and typical houses in Plovdiv Old Town
- Explore the Roman Theater, the best preserved Roman theater in Bulgaria still used for live performances
- Admire the newly renovated Roman stadium with 30,000 spectator seats and watch the 3D film (optional)
- Explore Plovdiv, the second largest city in Bulgaria known for its artistic culture with numerous painters, poets, and musicians
DescriptionOn this full-day tour you will visit Plovdiv and the Bachkovo Monastery, located 170 kilometers from Sofia. You will start your journey from Sofia in the morning and first visit the old town of Plovdiv for a 2.5-hour walking tour through the Roman and medieval remains. You will then have some free time for a stroll along the main street in Plovdiv, enjoy an open-air café, or a quick kebab sandwich. Before returning to Sofia in the evening, stop at the Bachkovo Monastery (30 minute-drive from Plovdiv), where you can admire the churches and the dining room wall paintings from 1602. Plovdiv is one of the oldest European towns, contemporary to Troya and Mikena. It has existed as a settlement for about 8,000 years, and became a town 3,000 years ago during the Troyan war. In the historic quarter of the city you will see beautifully decorated Revival period houses, the ancient fortress-wall, the Roman forum and stadium, and magnificent churches. The old city of Plovdiv with its museums, historical sites, ancient houses, and paved streets is the perfect place for sightseeing.
IncludesEntrance fees English speaking tour guide Air-conditioned vehicle Fuel and parking fees
- Please note: This tour is not suitable for high-heel shoes and disabled people.