My Guide Website?
Veliko Tarnovo & Arbanasi Full day tour2 Reviews
This unique medieval fortress was the capital of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom from 1185 to 1393.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Bulgaria:If youʻre booking your trip to Bulgaria last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- From Bucharest: Small Group Day Trip to Medieval Bulgaria
- Sofia: Museum of Socialist Art and Buzludzha Monument Tour
- From Sofia: Plovdiv Full-Day Guided Tour
- From Sofia: Rila Monastery and Boyana Church Day Trip
- Belogradchik: Hot-air Balloon Flight over Belogradchik Rocks
- Explore a unique medieval fortress
- See Baldwin's Tower
- Discover the Patriarchal Church of Tsarevets
- Wander through the beautiful village of Arbanassi
DescriptionVeliko Tarnovo is a city in north-central Bulgaria. Often referred to as the 'City of the Tsars', Veliko Tarnovo is located on the Yantra River and is famous as the historical capital of the Second Bulgarian Empire (1185-1396), attracting many tourists with its unique architecture. The old part of the city is situated on the three hills Tsarevets, Trapezitsa, and Sveta Gora, rising amidst the meanders of the Yantra. On Tsarevets are the palaces of the Bulgarian emperors and the Patriarchate, the Patriarchal Cathedral, as well as a number of administrative and residential edifices surrounded by thick walls. Trapezitsa is known for its many churches and as the former main residence of the nobility. In the Middle Ages, the city was among the main European centers of culture and gave its name to the architecture of the Tarnovo Artistic School, painting of the Tarnovo Artistic School and literature.Arbanassi is known for the rich history and large number of historical monuments, such as 17th- and 18th-century churches and examples of Bulgarian National Revival architecture, which have turned it into a popular tourist destination. It is set on a high terrace above Veliko Tarnovo where you enjoy a scenic overview of the city and the fortress Tsarevets. Veliko Tarnovo is located 220 kilometers from Sofia. You will start your journey at 8:00 AM, from your hotel or accommodation in Sofia. When you arrive in Veliko Tarnovo you will have the opportunity to enjoy a great view of the fortress and take some photos before setting off on a climb to Baldwin's Tower and the top of the medieval hill - the Patriarchal Church of Tsarevets. On your way back to the vehicle, you may glance at the Assen's Dynasty Monument, and then stroll over Samovodska Charshia Street, where you will be able to buy a small souvenir of your exciting trip. Before returning to Sofia, you will take a look at the oldest church in Arbanasi, the Nativity of Christ, with its beautiful frescoes from 1632. The mural paintings include the life of St. John the Baptist, patron of the church, and the wheel of life with the 12 zodiac signs.
IncludesTransfer to and from your hotel/accommodation in Sofia Guide in English Parking fees Entrance fees
- Start: 8:00 AM/End: 07:00 PM
- Recommended period: All year round
- Driving time: 6.5 hours approximately
- Walking time: 3.5 hours approximately
- Handicap accessible: Very limited, lots of steps
- Special requirements: Comfortable shoes (cobblestone streets)