Rila Monastery Day Trip from Sofia151 Reviews
Explore one of the most impressive monastic settlements in Europe at your own pace on a self-guided tour of the amazing Rila Monastery. Benefit from round-trip transfers from Sofia by minibus.
- See the beautiful sights from the Rila Mountains
- Explore the historic Rila Monastery at your own pace
- Benefit from a reliable round-trip shuttle service from Sofia city center
DescriptionBoard the shuttle service behind St. Alexander Nevski Cathedral in Sofia city center. Then, head to the medieval Rila Monastery in the spectacular Rila Mountains. Get over 2 hours of free time to explore the complex, founded by the hermit monk Ivan Rilski in 927 AD. Marvel at the frescoes of the main church and visit the medieval tower independently. Wander down quiet outdoor corridors adorned with beautiful mosaics, and see gold-plated iconostasis and valuable icons from the 14th to 19th century. Learn more about the history of the site at the museum, where highlights include the double-sided crucifix of the Rila Cross. See the old bakery and other monuments, including the residential area of high stone walls and little windows. Board the minibus back to Sofia in the afternoon and get dropped off at the pick-up point on arrival.
IncludesShared or private round-trip transfer to Rila Monastery from Sofia (depending on option selected) Entrance fees Meals and drinks Guide service at Rila Monastery
- Please dress up accordingly: high heels, short skirts and short trousers, shirts with no sleeves, etc. are not allowed in the monastery
- Wear warm clothes as it can be extremely cold at Rila Monastery, especially in the fall and winter period
- Dining options are limited, so it is recommended that you bring your own food
- Child/baby seats have to be requested in advance, up to 24 hours before travel date
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCHECK AVAILABILITY