My Guide Website?
From Sofia: The Seven Rila Lakes Full-Day Tour341 Reviews
Enjoy this exhilarating hike into the mountains near Sofia, and discover the picturesque Seven Rila Lakes. After a 90 minute drive to Panichishte, begin your trek and see why these glacial lakes are known as the Blue Pearls of the Rila Mountains.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Bulgaria:If youʻre booking your trip to Bulgaria last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- From Bucharest: Small Group Day Trip to Medieval Bulgaria
- Sofia: Museum of Socialist Art and Buzludzha Monument Tour
- From Sofia: Plovdiv Full-Day Guided Tour
- From Sofia: Rila Monastery and Boyana Church Day Trip
- Belogradchik: Hot-air Balloon Flight over Belogradchik Rocks
- Discover the snow-capped peaks of Rila, a treasure hidden under the blue sky
- Visit the Seven Rila Lakes, a group of glacial lakes, on a full-day hiking trip
- Take a chairlift from Panichishte to the top of the world at Rila National Park
- Admire views of the Rila Mountains, the highest mountain range in Bulgaria
- Explore Bulgarian nature with a professional mountain guide on your side
DescriptionEnjoy a full-day trek into the Rila Mountains to explore the most picturesque area near Sofia and one of Bulgaria's most beautiful natural sites, the Seven Rila Lakes. This group of glacial lakes lies between 6,900 and 8,200 feet (2,100 and 2,500 meters) above sea level, surrounded by rugged peaks and deep valleys. Leaving Sofia, you will drive for 90 minutes to reach the Panichishte resort area, where you board the chairlift to the Rila Lakes mountain hut. From here, continue on foot to explore the landscape and its majestic blue pearls – the Eye, the Tear, the Kidney, the Twins, the Trefoil, the Fish Lake, and the Lower Lake. The route is not difficult and can be altered on the spot depending on fitness levels or strength, following either more gentle routes or steeper gradients. Take your chance to explore the Blue Pearls of the Rila Mountains, and the Seven Rila Lakes. The local tour operator, Traventuria, was awarded a “Business Which Supports Biodiversity” certification by the Bulgarian Biodiversity Foundation for its “Tours with a Cause” initiative.
IncludesEnglish-speaking guide (unless self-guided option chosen) Driver Transfers from Sofia Visit to Rila Monastery (if option chosen) Audio guide (if option chosen) Guided hike (if option chosen)
- IMPORTANT: The management of the Rila Lakes chair lift has decided to close the lift in October and November. for maintenance. This unfortunately means that walking on foot is the only way to access the lakes. We will still run the tour, but keep in mind that it requires previous trekking experience and is suitable for really fit hikers. Trek is over varied terrain, which may include also a fair amount of walking in the alpine landscape. The total walking distance is 17km and between the starting point and the highest lake, there’s a difference in altitude of nearly 1000 meters (3200ft). It will be virtually impossible for the whole group to reach the highest lakes, so we will aim at the middle one (Kidney). The terrain will be very wet and slippery and there may be snow in the area. Walking in such conditions requires adequate equipment (good trekking boots, waterproof clothes, and a warm layer beneath the jacket).