From Sofia: Rila Monastery and Plovdiv Self-Guided Trip9 Reviews
See the best of Bulgaria's culture in one day on a self-guided tour from Sofia. Explore the amazing Rila Monastery and the cultural capital of the country - the city of Plovdiv. Benefit from round-trip transfers from Sofia by comfortable minibus.
- Explore the historic Rila Monastery
- Explore the most important sights of Plovdiv Old town
- See two of Bulgaria's most visited places in one-day from Sofia
- Travel in comfort with a reliable round-trip shuttle service from Sofia city center
DescriptionDepart from Sofia city center at 7:00 AM (for the period May to September, departure is at 07:30 AM) and travel by shuttle bus with a friendly English-speaking driver. After your 2-hour transfer in an air-conditioned minibus, you will reach the medieval Rila Monastery in the spectacular Rila Mountains. Once there, you have more than 1-hour to explore the monastic complex at your own pace -more than enough time to see all the major parts of the complex. The monastery was founded by the hermit monk Ivan Rilski in 927 AD. Marvel at the frescoes of the main church and visit the medieval tower independently. Continue with a 3.5-hour transfer to the city of Plovdiv (a short break half-way is included) and get more than 4.5 hours to explore Bulgaria's second largest city, famous for its Old Town, Roman remains and Kapana artistic district. Your driver will provide you with a free copy of a tourist city map. Board the shuttle bus at 6:00 PM (for the period May to September, departure is 6:30 PM) at the agreed meeting point and return to Sofia in the evening to be dropped off at the meeting point behind St.Alexander Nevski Cathedral.
IncludesRound-trip shared transfer Transportation by air-conditioned minivan Map of Plovdiv Old Town Licensed driver Optional museum admission fees for museums in Plovdiv and Koprivshtitsa Food and drinks Guide services Optional gratuities
- This trip involves moderate walking on cobbled (stone) streets
- Wear comfortable walking shoes and clothes suitable for walking
- This trip operates in all weather conditions. Please dress appropriately. During winter and autumn it can be very cold at Rila Monastery
- Please dress up accordingly: high heels, short skirts and short trousers, shirts with no sleeves, etc. are not allowed in the monastery
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability