My Guide Website?
From Plovdiv: Musala Peak Full-Day Trekking Tour1 Reviews
Hike the highest peak in Bulgaria and the Balkans on an 11-hour tour to the summit of Musala Mountain. Enjoy a walk extending above the tree line and pass some beautiful glacial lakes along the way.
- Hike the highest mountain summit in the Balkans
- Ride the gondola lift through forests of pine and fir en route to the beginning of the trail
- Look out for native wildlife, including imperial eagles and wild goats
- Enjoy breathtaking panoramas of the alpine Pirin Mountains
- Drive to the historic ski resort of Borovets
- Rest for a picnic by the crystal clear waters of one of the glacial lakes
DescriptionEnjoy a full-day hike of the Rila National Park and conquer the summit of Musala, the highest mountain on the Balkan peninsula Boasting more than 180 glacial lakes, the name of the mountain is of Thracian origin and means “Plenty of Water.” Coniferous trees grow up to 170-200 feet (50-60 meters) tall, concealing diverse wildlife that includes bears, wolves, wild goats, and imperial eagles. Following a pick-up in Plovdiv, head towards Borovets, Bulgaria's oldest ski resort. The 19th-century resort is surrounded by old pine forests, and boasts one of the healthiest climates in Bulgaria. Board the gondola lift to the peak of Yastrebet (7,936 feet/2,369 meters) for the start of your trek. Your guide will lead you along the trail to the Musala Mountain Hut, and on to a stunning lake, before hiking to Icy Lake (9,078 feet/2,710 meters), the coldest and highest lake in the Rila Mountains. A short but steep ascent follows all the way to Musala’s summit (9,799 feet/2,925 meters), with spectacular vistas along the way. Gaze across at the alpine Pirin Mountains, Vitosha Mountain, Sredna Gora Mountains, and the green carpets of the Rhodope Mountains. After a break at the summit, hike back down, retracing your steps to the gondola lift and on to Borovets for the transfer back to Plovdiv.
IncludesEnglish-speaking guide Hotel transfers from Plovdiv Parking fees Cabin lift return ticket (EUR 6) Food Tips
- The trip duration is 10.5 to 11 hours, including 5 hours of walking/hiking
- The hike takes place between 2369 and 2925 meters above sea level/7772 and 9596 feet above sea level
- Elevation difference: 556 meters/1824 feet
- Elevation gain: 690 m/2263 feet
- Walking distance: 14.2 km/8.8 miles
- Hiking time: 6 hours, including breaks
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Reserve Your Experience
Instant Booking ConfirmationBook Now